Pearls before Swine
Why is naivety something seen as so undesirable? So unwelcome? So passe?
When a young couple "falls in love" for the first time, those feelings tend to be shamed by the jaded. And even though those feelings may be immature, are they not to be still treasured? Still enjoyed? Still sacred?
When a young person dreams of a limitless future, perhaps impossible when viewed through logic's frame, those living by the bounds of the impossible attempt to suffocate those dreams with their own realm of logic. Do we really believe that God is the Dreamgiver, and that with Him all things are possible?
You may not agree, but I think that naivety (in its purest form) is a part of faith. Of innocence. Of childlike artlessness. And that it must be guarded and fostered into wisdom, lest it get trampled and we become one of their own--
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces."
When a young couple "falls in love" for the first time, those feelings tend to be shamed by the jaded. And even though those feelings may be immature, are they not to be still treasured? Still enjoyed? Still sacred?
When a young person dreams of a limitless future, perhaps impossible when viewed through logic's frame, those living by the bounds of the impossible attempt to suffocate those dreams with their own realm of logic. Do we really believe that God is the Dreamgiver, and that with Him all things are possible?
You may not agree, but I think that naivety (in its purest form) is a part of faith. Of innocence. Of childlike artlessness. And that it must be guarded and fostered into wisdom, lest it get trampled and we become one of their own--
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces."



5 Comments:
I understand what you’re saying; really I do because in part I have the same mind set. Yet, I am someone who has seen somethings in this world, and I guess you could say that I do also have a jaded opinion. I think that there is a thin line where, being naïve is incredibly dangerous, and where it can be very helpful.
Enjoy love; but don’t be stupid, don’t throw yourself into something that you know you can’t handle.
Dream, dream big and never let anyone tell you it is impossible, our culture would simply fail if we didn’t have big dreamers; heck half of us would be dead. Wouldn’t we?
Even though i agree with your point there is a difference between good and bad naivety... God gave us a brain... we should use it... those of us who have the gift of being able to look at the world in a pure and simple form... child-like i love, child-like is GOOD, GREAT naivety... naivety that says 'i am going to hitch hike and get on a bus full of drunken men because God will protect me' is foolish... God says to be child-like, not foolish. Lord let my child-like nature increase and my foolishness decrease to glorify Your name! Great post! Be blessed!
Hm. I thought this might happen.
So let me share 3 limits with which I wrote this post as a whole, and perhaps I won't seem so out of joint.
1. The Definition of Naive:
--Lacking worldly experience and understanding, especially simple and guileless; artless: a child with a naive charm.
2. Be careful with what words naive is inaccurately associated with. Keep the meaning pure. There is a strong difference between naivety and stupidity/ignorance.
3. Naive people are mentioned once in the Bible (Romans 6:17-19). And Paul neither condemns them nor slaughters them with logic, but rather exhorts them to be on guard for deceivers and to grow in wisdom. (Now re-read the words of my last paragraph).
---------------------------
Often I find that there is deep "treasure" in me that longs to hope and trust for things unknown. This treasure is sacred. And often I find that when I uncover this treasure of hope it gets trampled by words of doubtful logic. That it's impossible. And when I give these "pearls" of trust, (my untouched, naieve inexperience), to dogs and swine who do not understand, my hope in turn ends up being trampled and my unique dreams destroyed. They didn't even have a chance to be explored. And then, jaded and hopeless, I continue on this cycle of destruction; I hear someone's dream (perhaps similiar to my previous own), and I bark back, "IT CAN NEVER HAPPEN!"
What would happen if we broke this cycle. Stepped out, and said... maybe it can.
So I will guard my naivety from the dogs, and swine, and deceivers, and surrender my trust to God that he may develop my inexperience and simplicty into heavenly wisdom... that the world be changed.
--And those are the thoughts behind my thoughts. Please understand with grace. I'm not stupid, I just want to believe and trust.
Wonderfully splendid my dear! Thanks for the clarification! I don't see you as being stupid in ANY way! I learn when i come here... its beauty, its bliss! Be incandecently blessed my dear Carissa~
i like this one
Post a Comment
<< Home