2.03.2006

Carissa's Life Lessons (so far):

(I was thinking. What makes everyone think that I'm so odd? And I think that this has something to do with it.)


1.Make every note count
Without realizing it, my piano teacher has drilled into my mind a way of approaching an entire piece of music. Every note counts. I've realized that when I sit down to play, I'm not playing a Sonatina, or Prelude, or whatever. I'm playing one note at a time, and each note I play adds up towards the whole piece. Every note is played differently, but beautifully--with emotion and passion. And in order for a whole song to be stunning, each note must separately emerge with just as much confidence as both the last and the next.

If you don't make music, this might be difficult to understand, but I really like this analogy. Because life in its entirety is a masterpiece. I have the chance to make every note count. Every moment, whether minor or major, can play out beautifully or sloppily. Even though (when compared to eternity) one second, or minute, or hour may seem insignificant, I've realized that the way I spend each moment of my life contributes to who I will be as a whole when all is said and done. I don't have a second to waste or throw away because (even right now) I'm making music. I'm making every note count.


2. Always ask why.
Although after just three classes in Social 30, my former teacher managed to say something that still challenges me today. Always ask why. And even though he was speaking in reference to his Social class, this got me thinking about life: Why? Why do I wear shoes? Why do I eat with a fork? Why does my church dim the lights for slow songs and prayer? Why do I say “pretty good” every time someone asks me how I’m doing? Why do I spend more money on clothes than I tithe to God? And it goes on, and on...

Some of my questions are ridiculously pointless, while others have changed my entire way of thinking. I've learnt that I can't be living life a certain way because society teaches that its way is the only way. Or that just because a certain thing has been done a certain way for the last 50 years, it is still best today. Call me a rebel, but some days I do silly things. Some days I leave my house without shoes on. And some days I eat my supper with my hands.


And some days people think that I'm weird. But each new day I make every note count and it always brings me joy... so I guess it doesn't really matter what they think, now does it?

7 Comments:

Blogger tay said...

it seems like you just talked about me, is that weird? i dont know i guess were pretty much the same person except NOT at all.
I do things more with out thinking, just being lead by what i think or something. i cant explain it. i mean instead of asking why, i will probably ask why the heck not.

3.2.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello.
happy birthday.

7.2.06  
Blogger alicialauren said...

haha ohhh my carrissa ... dearest c-dot

i love you man

and i dont think you're wierder than any other person who is being themselves, but i do think you are BEAutiful

9.2.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Like your comment on the music and how your playing every note. As a musician myself its not something I think about to often
your a bright girl

9.2.06  
Blogger Dawn said...

I just love you and what you have to say! Be blessed! Muchlov!

11.2.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey carissa,

i found your blog through dawn's site - very cool! (looks neat too)

every note TOTALLY counts. I didn't know you played piano, next time you sing with me I'll make you play something.

adios amigo

16.2.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Carissa,
PTL and blessings - had something written, and then...the wrong key touched and it all went, "Poof."
Anyway, enjoyed what you wrote about every note counting...Thought you might enjoy this piece. Hope it all comes through.
God bless and love, Aunt Joanne
Playing Your Part
In God's Symphony
Frank N. Pohorlak
"He hears music" (Greek: sumphonia) Luke 15:25
"What agreement" (Greek: sumphonesis) 2 Cor.6:15
"DID YOU KNOW that you are an orchestra member in God's symphony (TOGETHER-SOUNDing)? Do you know your part? How are you performing it? What makes a symphony?
There are many factors which enter into preparing a symphony orchestra to perform accurately, and play artistically pleasing music. While overseas during World War II in the European Theatre of Operations I heard the London Symphony Orchestra play in Salisbury Cathedral, with Yehudi Menuhin as violin soloist, and noted the following interesting points.
First, the members must all be in their places ahead of time. Not a single member may be absent or a single instrument missing, for all are necessary.
Second, each member must tune his instrument to agree with the A 440 played by the oboe. With all members present and all instruments tuned, do we have a symphony? Suppose each person decided which selection of music he was going to play. There would be frightful discord. No, each music stand has a copy of the piece selected to be played at a given time.
Now we have all members present, all instruments tuned, and all with the same piece of music on each stand. Do these alone make a symphony? No, for even a genius could not play the violin part on the double bass or the French horn part on the harp. Each instrument was made to play with a certain tone and quality, hence each stand must have the music portion written for the instrument which was designed to play a certain way. Do all these make a symphony?
Suppose all are present, all instruments tuned, each stand with the proper piece of music, and then each member decided how he would interpret the music. Some would play loud and some soft, some would play fast and some slow.
No, each member subordinates his ideas to those of the composer and places himself under the direction of the conductor. Thus we see that a symphony orchestra is a group of persons, each by talent, training and practice an expert on his instrument, each with his correct score, each in tune, each playing under the leadership of a single head, the conductor of the orchestra.
What can we learn from this? God is the Composer. Christ Jesus is the Conductor. The Sacred Scriptures are the Score. The earth is the stage on which, in part, God's symphony is being played. His creatures are the instrumentalists. Our daily lives and how we respond to His trials and His testings are the performance.
In this symphony each has a part, from the simplest of saints to the most scholarly of savants. Would there be a symphony if we all played violins? Or French horns? Or oboes? Of course not! If all played harps where would the cellos be? If all played violas where would the bassoons be?
All the members make one orchestra and each member is important, no matter how small his part, no matter what his size, shape, color, age, education, style and quality of clothes. Talent does not lie in looks, in the latest hair-do, or the up-to-the-minute fashions of this world system. Your value lies in knowing your part and your instrument, and in playing your assigned score under the direction of the Conductor, so that the combined efforts of all believers will make music to the glory of God and His Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord."

1.3.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home